Our purpose is to liberate women, children and whānau from family violence
Our vision is leadership that influences the prevention and elimination of domestic violence. Our purpose is to liberate women, children and whānau from family violence by providing quality services and social commentary.
These are the values we recognise:
- Whakapapa: Understanding the depth of our kaupapa, who we are and where we stand.
- Tikanga: Doing things according to our values and cornerstones.
- Wairua: Understanding and contributing to the essence of how we work, through respecting each other and our environment.
- Tapu: The practice of individual and collective protection.
- Mauri: Encompassing the evolving lifeforce across all things.
- Mana: Upholding empowerment and growth of our people, individually and collectively.
Four cornerstones underpin our values:
At Women’s Refuge we treat all women, children and their families/whānau in a respectful, confidential, sensitive and non-judgemental manner.
- Parallel development: Enables each to develop in ways that are culturally appropriate and complementary, and which allow parties to work together to preserve the integrity of the whole organisation.
- Collectivism: Commitment to practices enabling all women to participate at the local, regional, and national level through shared responsibility, participation, and accountability by all members.
- Feminism: Belief in and commitment to working towards equal rights and opportunities for all women.
- Takatāpui Nurturing Diversity: Commitment to nurture diversity and difference and work actively to combat heterosexism and homophobia.