Our purpose is to liberate women, children families and whānau from family violence
Our vision is leadership that influences the prevention and elimination of domestic violence. Our purpose is to liberate women, children, families and whānau from family violence by providing quality services and social commentary.
These are the values we recognise:
- Whakapapa: Relationships built on kinship and reciprocity.
- Tikanga: Practising with integrity.
- Wairua: Honouring diversity.
- Tapu: Promoting self-understanding and development.
- Mauri: Maintenance of the individual identity and values within a collective.
- Mana: Inspirational leadership.
Four cornerstones underpin our values:
At Women’s Refuge we treat all women, children and their families/whānau in a respectful, confidential, sensitive and non-judgemental manner.
- Parallel development: Ensuring the needs of Māori are met in ways that best suit Māori.
- Collectivism: To ensure consensus decision-making, and in recognition that the actions of one refuge reflects on the refuge movement as a whole.
- Feminism: Celebrating women’s contribution to society.
- Takatāpui Nurturing Diversity: To eliminate discrimination of any kind against women.