Providing social commentary on domestic violence in order to create a violence-free New Zealand is one of our main purposes.
We provide expert comment on relevant government legislation, regulation, policies, and programmes – including some monitoring and evaluation of how these are working. We do this to contribute to and influence change within systems, attitude, policy, and laws.
Read our latest media releases, and watch our latest television interviews.
Working to create social change
Our important policy and advocacy work means Women’s Refuge:
- provides information on domestic violence issues
- informs public debate
- builds coalitions and encourages collaboration of agencies and organisations at a national and local level to ensure a coordinated approach to
- domestic violence
- participates in inter-agency working groups and non-governmental organisation (NGO) working groups to support the development and
- implementation of work in domestic violence and related areas
- involves and supports communities to have a role in the prevention of domestic violence.
We also undertake our own research. and submissions:
We prepare submissions on proposed changes to legislation, as well as consultation documents from government departments, local authorities, and other bodies.
Briefing Incoming Government Submission (PDF)
Family Court Review Submission (PDF)
The Inquiry in to the Detriments of the Well-being of Maori Children (PDF)
Submission to the Ministry of Justice Re: Financial Abuse (PDF)
Submission on the Marriage Ammendment Bill (PDF)
Committee of Elimination of Discrimination Against Women (CDAW) Shadow Report (PDF)